If you are looking to host your website you could be wondering, should I have a shared hosting account, a VPS hosting account or a dedicated server?
The first difference you will notice is the cost varies dramatically.
Shared Hosting prices can range from 19.99 to over 100.00 per annum.
VPS Hosting prices vary from 39.99 to approx 69.99 per month
Dedicated Servers are a different league entirely, ranging from 150.00 per month to around 1000.00 per month.
Shared hosting would be the most common hosting account purchased, a good starting place for any website. But the negatives include sharing your hosting space and ip address with unknown neighbors. If these “neighbors” decide to use their hosting account for spam or phishing you can end up with an IP address being blacklisted by Google which will negatively impact your search results.
VPS Hosting would be the next step up, you are still sharing your resources with x amount of unknown users but you do have a lot more control over what is happening in your webspace. With many VPS hosting accounts you can upgrade RAM and CPU limits almost instantly.
Dedicated Servers – a dedicated server provides your company with it’s own machine in the data canter. It is not shared with any other users and you have your own ip address. It is by far the most secure of hosting types if you are storing sensitive data and can be upgraded and monitored easily. Managed dedicated servers are normally the most popular as this way you have trained staff managing any upgrades or maintenance of your account.
Some of the benefits of a dedicated server include :
- As the entire servers resources are dedicated to your website, load times decrease dramatically.
- Since you are not sharing your server with other users who may be testing new scripts that could potentially crash the server, your reliability increases.
- Security risks are lessened since access to a dedicated server is limited.
- Configurable hardware means you can upgrade your dedicated server at any point.
- Custom Firewall protection enables you to run and enforce your own access control policy.
- Dedicated servers allow for unique addresses.
If you have a dedicated server let us know who it is with and how you find the service.
If you require assistance in getting your business online or developing your ecommerce strategy you may want to consider using the expertise of a?non executive director?in your company.? A non executive director with skills in building scalable businesses online could really make the difference to your business.? In addition, a non executive director could add to significant improvement in your overall business performance, assisting with neutral objective decision making.